Skip to main content

January Jottings

January is my favourite month in Melbourne. 
It's summer and 
We are on holiday,
The city is quiet, like Paris in August.

I have not quite got used to the seasons being upside down, 
I still struggle with a warm Christmas. 
Having been born and brought up in chilly Britain, 
Christmas feels weird here.

However when January comes, I'm fully Aussie. 
No post festive season blues here.
Santa might be crying all the way to the check-out,
but I'm smiling and life's good.


In early January a water lily flowered in our garden
It's cheerful petals unfolding into the sunshine
It appeared out of nowhere
Beautiful, delicate, exotic, perfectly formed 
and in my pond!!

I take it's flowering as symbol of new life
and wonder what 2014 will hold for us?
It will be a year of big change for our family
Daughter No 1 is off to volunteer in Africa
Daughter No 2 moves to New York
It's my sons final year of school
New jobs are on the horizon
And me?
Well I'm off to Bali on a yoga retreat in May to cope!

The lotus flower appearing in our pond
Very Zen, I feel,
In Asia the flowering of the lotus symbolises absolute real truth and purity.
I wonder whether this flower is a sign, 
Are we off to Asia?


January is all about sport for us, 
we are of course living in the self proclaimed sporting capital of Australia.
There is much to choose from whether it is cricket, soccer or tennis.
We don't flee the city in January in search of beaches like many
We stay for the Tennis.

We put everything on hold, and don't plan for much.
Our city fills with visitors.
Melbourne is looking good.
We spend our days watching tennis,
 either at the site, or more likely  
watching the on court action
glued to the television 

Last night we watched wonderful Wawrinka 
beat the defending Champion Novak Djokovich. 
It was a wow wow wee match.
Stan's the Man.


Happily it was cool last night (only 18 degrees C)
Last week our temperatures soared into the 40's (over 100 in Fahrenheit)
We had four days of extreme heat, 
it barely dropped at night.
Melbourne was on a knife edge 
our electricity infrastructure was barely able to cope with the peak demand.
Luckily we weren't one of the houses affected by power cuts
By last Thursday there were over seventy bush fires
 burning out of control across the State.

Jan 2014 was going to be one of those years 
that people talked about for years...

At the tennis, play continued.
Players braved horrendous conditions on court.
In ten years of watching the Aussie Open, 
I have never seen Melbourne Park so empty on occasions.

Players needed to be adjusted to the severe Aussie climate and
have an even greater than usual steely determination to win.
For me it is no surprise that new players have emerged 
and other old names have fallen by the wayside.

The crazy poodle in sunnies.
The Crazy Poodle is not best pleased with January, 
despite his summer clip, he is hot and bothered. 
His normal routine of walks disrupted. 
Last week we had to leave him outside 
Yes, you've guessed it we went to the tennis!
We lined the floor of his kennel with ice blocks to keep him cool.

This weekend is our Australian Day celebration.
It will be a fun day
We have  citizenship ceremony to attend
Can't wait...

Except that after Australia day, 
School goes back and then we're into February
It gets really, really hot in February
 January is better!

  J is for January Jottings
Thank you for Jenny Matlock for hosting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat