Skip to main content

Holidaying in Bangkok - Are we mad?

People look at you a bit weird 
when you tell them you're off to Bangkok at the moment...

You know the sort of look that says:
"well you clearly love adventure holidays!"

Tuk Tuks - still the best fun way to travel!
It was fine!
I can report Bangkok is steamy hot, stormy and 
extremely quiet.

On account of most tourists heeding many governments' 
advice to exercise a high degree of caution!

Indeed most local people we meet are unperturbed
by as they call it 'just another coup'.
It is, they explain, just the way Thailand sorts things out 
when neither party are strong enough to take control 
the political democratic way...

Yes life in Thailand is very different to my
all mod cons lifestyle in Australia
and that is why I love to visit.

Living on the water
That and the Thai people who we love!
They have to be one of the loveliest, smiliest nations...

We had some lovely conversations especially over some of the lovely 
Western names the waiters and waitresses had selected.

One gorgeous waitress was called Cake.
'Ohh, that is my sort of name,
Why did you choose Cake?' 
 Her friends called her pancake 
because of her round face she told us.
Yep, that would work for me too!

Up at the crack of dawn for our bicycle tour 
I asked my DH if he'd ordered the coffee?'
'Yes, Night is coming' he replied with a straight face...

Or 'where's the taxi?'
'Moss is stuck in traffic!'

The loveliest people...

Now we have been lucky enough to have been frequent visitors to Bangkok
so we didn't feel the need to rush out and visit every temple 
or go to the Grand Palace again.

Although I didn't stop us from asking silly questions of the guide:
'what do you call that temple?!'

All temples are called Wat, 
although I know you already knew that...
We chuckled for hours about that one!

Wat's that called?
Instead we chose to do the Amazing Bangkok Cycle
one of my favourite Bangkok tours, which Tim had never done.

We cycled through the backstreets of Bangkok,
through some market areas and poor housing districts
before loading the bikes on a Sampan and crossing to the other side
of the Chao Phraya river and exploring the park lands.


Crossing the River with ABC tours
Later that evening we relax with cocktails before dinner 
at Saffron at the Banyan Tree


Loved the bars and restaurants at the Banyan Tree, Bangkok
Oh yes, this is the life
We are happy to be on holiday in Bangkok!
Linking with Blue Monday 
Thank you Sally!
Travel Photo Monday




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat