Skip to main content

Mum's Youth Hostel - open all hours!


Mum's Youth Hostel is officially open again.

I love to travel
but when we can't get away
we do the next best thing...
We have the world come to us!
 

We have our twenty-seventh, twenty-eighth and twenty-ninth
Japanese Homestay guests living with us at the moment.
Three lovely student nurses from Kyoto
who have never been out of Japan.


We do love the Japanese
Always so polite and calm. 
Well, until they accidentally set off the burglar alarm...
then there is much shrieking and panic 
on a par with the din from the alarm,
but generally it's quiet and I adore hearing their giggles!

It's a big deal to come to Australia.
They arrive with enormous suitcases
often bigger than them.
Empty of course, 
as they are here to learn English, to study 
and for shopping!

On the drive home on day one 
I warm them about the Crazy Poodle
our over enthusiastic pocket rocket of a dog.

The Crazy Poodle launches himself
with all his love and affection,
usually at the one girl who has requested a pet free house.
'Welcome Home' I say cheerily!


Their English is often extremely limited
but somehow we get by.
If the going gets really tough we resort to a translator
but mostly I'm become (even if I say so myself)
quite good at acting out what I'm asking.
It's my version of charades or 
an adapted version of 'animal, vegetable or mineral?'...

'The dog is barking at a possum in the tree'
more giggles and get me an Equity card please!

I really must do an teaching English as a foreign language course.
I'm getting too old to be seen through the windows
on all fours barking at my husbands leg,
what the neighbours must think!


Oh the fun we have...

Our visitors book is filling up. 
Over the past six years
 we have opened our home to visitors 
from China, Hong Kong, Japan, Germany, America, United Kingdom, 
Canada, India, and Bali.

Never a dull moment here!


J is for Japanese
Linking with Alphabe Thursday Thank you to Jenny!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat