Skip to main content

I'm loving London life!

We're having a grand old time in London.

Except the weather has not been very kind.
'It's fresh Ma'am' 
the hotel doormen with the black bowler hats would tell me every morning.
'Fresh!!!! It's friggin freezing' this Aussie would reply. 
There is just something about a man in a bowler hat 
that brings out the inner Cockney mongrel in me.
'Yes Ma'am!' they would reply. 
They are recruited for their politeness.
They win.


Yesterday Mr Wren and I found ourselves with a rare London afternoon to ourselves. We were walking along the Embankment, on our way to Westminster, to see the Prime Minister. Somehow it felt important to go and find out what on earth was going on with this Brexit EU referendum that everyone is talking about. When the heavens opened.

We were torn, one one hand we were only a hop, skip and a jump from Downing Street, on the other hand we were getting wet, real wet. Faced with the same dilemma that the population of Great Britain has on June 23rd of should we stay, or should we go? Mr Wren takes charge. 'C'mon let's get a coffee!He spots a Costa Coffee and a Starbucks and starts making a bee-line towards them. 'No Wait!' I yell, as a loud clap of thunder cracks overhead.

'Let's do tea!'


And so, that is how we end up like drowned rats at the Savoy Hotel.
A bolt-hole from the rain.
This time we are greeted by men in top coats and tails.
Again all terribly, terribly polite.
'Will you be joining us today Sir, Ma'am?'
Clearly there was some doubt as to whether we were in the right place...

We were lucky that they could accommodate us for our spontaneous afternoon tea for two. We're shown to the most gorgeous table, a pianist plays in the corner. I do love London.
I can see Mr Wren thinking at that this last minute availability
is all rather unfortunate, especially when he is given the menu to find
 Afternoon Tea at the Savoy is fifty quid.
Each!


'Are you celebrating a special occasion today'  they ask?
'Yes', Mr Wren mutters: 

'...the fact that my wife is going to be nice to me 
for the rest of my life after this!'



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat