Skip to main content

Always Hawthorn at the MCG


Five tips to always enjoy the footy!


I went to the footy last weekend at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), 
the first time in ages. But that's it, I'm not to be invited back again.

Our team and league leaders Hawthorn, suffered an unexpected loss to Melbourne. It was only their second loss of the season which was the only other match I'd watched this year. So I'm banned as "always unlucky" from all future matches!

We've been "Always Hawthorn" members for sixteen years now, although some of these were with overseas membership. My membership was dropped on cost-saving grounds a few years back by Mr Wren - number one Hawthorn fan, who claimed I wasn't committed enough! That's rich, as I've always enjoyed the footy - my way!


It's true, my favourite way to always enjoy the footy is to arrive after the first siren and leave in time to get a seat on the train home! It's a two and a half hour long match, waaaaaay too long for me. On a really good day we've got home to watch the final siren on the telly and enjoy the post match commentary!



Hot chips, to warm the hands on a cold winters day!
Here are my five tips to always enjoy the footy:

1. Always enjoy the not-so-fine dinning experience !

There is nothing that screams Melbourne winter more than hot chips and a pie at the Footy. Just don't forget the tomato sauce mate! Somehow it seems part of the fun to be ignoring all attempts at healthy eating when cheering on the buff athletes of your favourite team!


Having a pie at the footy - it's a "must-do!"
2. Always take time to learn the basic rules of the game!

Our Australian Football League is a strange game to those of us brought up with round ball football. Aussie Rules takes forever to learn the rules and somehow it always seems to deteriorate into fisticuffs! With me going "that's terrible, what do they think they're doing?" At which point there are more great snorts of disapproval at my apparent lack of support!

3. Always marvel at how great it is to enjoy a sport where the fans are generally better behaved than the players!

Having said that it is usually good natured between the fans. Despite the thought that those around me are going to have a heart attack, the passion of the supporters is evident. There is no such thing as football hooliganism here!


Melbourne fans go wild at every goal!
4. Always take time to appreciate the MCG stadium and all the sport offers: 

We sit in a mixed supporter stand at the 100,000 capacity Melbourne Cricket Ground. Even with only had 37,000 in attendance, the roar of the Melbourne crowd is phenomenal. All are welcome and they start young in this sport, we spot several babes in arms. At half time the field is full of young Auskick kids all having their first experience of kicking goals on the hallowed MCG.


Auskick kids enjoy the footy
5. Always dress appropriately:

Melbourne weather is cold at the moment and so wrapping up warm with a team supporter scarf is a must. Here is the Crazy Poodle modeling one from previous years. He looks so young!




I've got the Always Hawthorn scarf
but as 'always Hawthorn lose' when I go, 
I'll have to be an always watching hawthorn on the telly in future. 
That's ok I suppose!




Linking with thanks to all the hosts at Our World Tuesday

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat